By now you have probably heard we launched Malali Watermelon DRY in June just for the summer! Watermelon is so perfect for the season that there’s an entire day dedicated to it – August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. In celebration of this quintessential fruit and its very special holiday, we offer 10 things you simply must know about Watermelon.
1. Watermelons have been around for a lonnnnng time. They’ve existed for over 5,000 years with the earliest records found through Egyptian hieroglyphics. But the fruit….er, vegetable (see #4) wasn’t always sweet. It took years of breeding watermelons to get that pleasing, juicy, taste we’ve all come to love.
2. Next time you want to impress someone at a picnic, ask them to pass the “Citrullus Lanatus,” which is the official species name for watermelon.
3. The nostalgic taste of watermelon is especially great alongside grilled shrimp, lobster rolls (see above image from Nantucket Island’s The Club Car), kebabs, lamb and potato salad. It’s perfect for any summer BBQ too! For more of our favorite Watermelon pairings, check out our Pinterest page.
4. Watermelons can be classified as both a fruit AND a vegetable. Yup, that’s right. Its seeds make it a fruit, but because it originated from the cucumber/squash family, it’s also a vegetable.
5. We’ve never met a Watermelon cocktail we didn’t like. We love its cool and juicy flavors with gin, tequila, vodka or champagne. And we simple adore the Watermelon Breeze above, which is a spectacular mix of cucumber vodka, Malali Watermelon DRY, lime juice and cherry bitters.
1. Malali Watermelon DRY Sparkling, DRY Sparkling 2. Shoes, Nordstrom Rack 3. Pool Float, Nordstrom 4. Purse, J. Crew 5. Yogurt, Chobani 6. Lipgloss, Stila 7. Napkins, PaperBoy 8. Socks, Target 9. Shirt, Flavour Gallery 10. Doormat, Home Depot
6. There’s no cooler trend this summer! Nordstrom has a whole collection devoted to this fruit, plus there are napkins, pool toys, endless entertainment items, and even a Chobani yogurt flavor that make this flavor stand out this summer.
7. Watermelons are made up of 91-92% water depending on who you ask. Now, if only we could figure out why they call it a watermelon… ?
8. Square Watermelons are grown in various parts of Asia. These babies sell for up to $800.00 each!
9. Every single part of this melon is edible. Every. Single. Part. So don’t waste it! Try pickling your rinds for a cocktail garnish next time.
10. Malali Watermelon DRY Sparkling is a limited edition flavor that was created just for the summer months. So as delicious as it is, after this summer it is disappearing from our lineup. “Will it return next year,” you ask? For now, the answer remains top secret.
When you find Malali Watermelon DRY, please let us know. Share your photos using the hashtag #WatermelonDRY so we can be part of your fun.
Cheers to National Watermelon Day!