By now you have probably heard we officially added Watermelon DRY Sparkling to our core-line this summer! We tested it out as a limited-time summer seasonal flavor in 2016, and it sold so well, we decided to keep it for good. While we are psyched about Watermelon DRY, we simply just love this fruit in any form. We recently learned that watermelon is so beloved, there’s an entire day dedicated to it – August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. In celebration of this quintessential fruit and its holiday, we are sharing ten facts you simply must know about Watermelon.
1. Watermelons have been around for a loooooong time. They’ve existed for over 5,000 years with the earliest records found through Egyptian hieroglyphics. But the fruit….er, vegetable (see #4) wasn’t always sweet. It took years of breeding watermelons to get that pleasing, juicy, taste we’ve all come to love.
2. Next time you want to impress someone at a picnic, ask them to pass the “Citrullus Lanatus,” which is the official species name for watermelon.
3. The nostalgic taste of watermelon is especially great alongside summer faves like grilled shrimp, lobster rolls, prosciutto and melon (pictured above), kebabs, lamb, and potato salad. It’s perfect for any summer BBQ too! For more of our favorite Watermelon pairings, check out our DRY Sparkling + food pairing generator.
4. Watermelons can be classified as both a fruit AND a vegetable. Yup, that’s right. Its seeds make it a fruit, but because it originated from the cucumber/squash family, it’s also a vegetable.
5. We’ve never met a Watermelon cocktail we didn’t like. We love its cool and juicy flavors with gin, tequila, vodka or champagne. We’ve especially fallen in love with Watermelon DRY + rosé this season. For a full list of cocktails, head to our “Mix” cocktail generator for the recipes.
6. Square Watermelons are grown in various parts of Asia. These babies sell for up to $800.00 each!
7. Watermelons are made up of 91-92% water depending on who you ask. Now, if only we could figure out why they call it a watermelon… ?
8. We were so inspired by watermelons this summer that we made a custom Watermelon DRY Sparkling towel. They are perfect for those times when you want to look extra adorable when sipping Watermelon DRY on the beach or poolside. We’ll be giving them away on social media throughout the summer – be sure to follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for your next chance to win one!
9. Every single part of this melon is edible. Every. Single. Part. So don’t waste it! Try pickling your rinds for a cocktail garnish next time.
10. Watermelon DRY Sparkling is one of four flavors included in our new DRY Sparkling Summer Variety Pack! Head to our store locator and select “summer variety pack” to discover all the locations you can find it near you.
When you have the chance to try Watermelon DRY, please let us know. Share your photos using the hashtag #WatermelonDRY so we can be part of your fun.
Cheers to National Watermelon Day!